Wednesday, June 11, 2008

(Not) Resting on the Laurels


Since I mentioned laurels in my last post, I already implemented some changes.
You can see in the pictures below there are 3 large ferns in the front garden which have overgrown their space, and hide everything behind them (all 3 have been split from a fern which I found in the garden when we moved in, and I believed for a long time to be dead).









All 3 now moved to new homes. 2 of them in the back garden and the right hand one in the right hand picture further back to the edge of the box.

I filled the other spaces with a selection of smaller ferns and grasses, and realised I now have space for a new acer!



The acer I am after is Acer Palmatum 'Little Princess', which is a small tree with red edged green leaves. I have seen it at garden shows (as large specimen), but so far I was not able to hunt one down. Hopefully my coming visit at Hampton Court flower show, will help.

And, there is another, less planned changed. As you can see in the top picture, there is a wooden seat between the boxes, which provides a good view of the garden (not that I used it that much). Unfortunately the seat was rather uncomfortable.
Last week I finally found the time to visit our local architectural salvage cum antique shop (which is just opposite the garden centre, so really I sould have visited before), and spotted a bench which fits in the small space. Hopeful, I sat on it and it turned out to be comfortable, so now it graces the front garden and gone are the excuses not to sit there ...
(It does need a lick of paint, and we do need to hide the water pipe behind it, but that's no excuse ... )

1 comment:

Unknown said...

1. Chazkul can paint the bench and hide the water pipe.
2. The real question is do you have more time to sit on the bench?